Firstly, some obvious things:

Passport: If you’re planning to leave the country… make sure you have a current passport.

Visa: Luckily for us, New Zealand citizens are issued with an automatic visa on entry, so cross this one off your list.

Savings: DO NOT leave the country without a little money to fall back on. After all anything can happen, and while abroad, it seems like EVERYTHING can happen.

Bank accounts: Make sure to let your bank know you are moving, but keep your account open to make life easier if you decide to visit home. Apply for Australian bank accounts in advance as it can sometimes take three weeks to finalise an account and receive your cards, meaning you can’t get paid if you start work.

Destination: Where will you go once you arrive? Do you have somewhere to stay while you look for somewhere permanent? Try having a detailed plan.

Getting there: No move is the same. Look into getting someone to do it all for you – tailored options dependent on what furniture and possessions you have, with regular sailings to all major ports including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide.

And some not-so-obvious things:

Medicare: Seeing the doctor overseas is an absolute nightmare and can potentially cost a fortune. Medicare is a Commonwealth government programme that guarantees all citizens (and some overseas visitors, including New Zealanders) access to a wide range of health services at little or no cost. That will save you a lot on healthcare. It can pay to apply for a Medicare card before you arrive as it can take a while to arrive in the mail. Visit

Tax file number (TFN): A tax file number is a nine-digit number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that individuals or organisations use for tax purposes.Without one of these you simply can’t be paid, and until you get one, this will be a real hassle if you’re wanting to work. Visit

RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate: If you’re planning on working in hospitality, good luck without one of these bad boys. Virtually every restaurant is required by law to have staff who hold an RSA certificate, and there can be consequences if staff do not. So to help yourself out, make this one of the first things you do if you want part-time work. Visit



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here